No Ubuntu hostnames in DHCP logs

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 17:28:26 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Gabriel Dragffy <dragffy at yandex.ru> wrote:
> We have a wireless router here which acts as a gateway and DHCP server.
> When checking its logs the Windows based clients are listed using the
> computer names. However, Ubuntu based machines have a blank hostname and
> its a little tedious matching up MACs with IPs. What setting must I
> alter on these ubuntu machines?

I'm at work at the moment and can't check the actual filenames, but if
you go into /etc then type dhcp<tab> (I think it's /etc/dhcp, but
don't hold me to that), there's a conf file in there. One of the
options is "send name to server" or something very similar to that.
Sorry to be so vague, but uncommenting that line and putting in a name
to send, solved that problem for me. You'll have to restart the
network:

sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0

(substitute eth0 for whatever your network interface is)

Could I be any more vague? :-) But hopefully that gives you the clue
that you need.

-Eamonn