Starting the Rsync Daemon (rsyncd) on boot

Clint Tinsley clintin at linuxmail.org
Wed Dec 6 12:52:41 UTC 2006

Thanks for your insights.  I too came to the conclusion that Dapper does not use inetd.

Basically to get it working, I defined the rysncd data paths in rsyncd.conf which is not present, has to be created.
Then I modified my rc.local to include two lines so that permissions would be set and the rsync daemon would be started on boot.

rc.local

chown -R nobody:users /home/user/Data
rsync --daemon

rsyncd.conf