Remote shutdown vulnerability ?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sat Dec 2 15:37:51 UTC 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 10:27, Mike Zeinz wrote:

>           What went wrong?
>             Did I shut down the machine incorrectly?
>             Is this a flaw? (...)
>             What else can originate this flaw?
>             How can I solve the problem?

man shutdown:

"Runlevel 0 is used to halt  the  system, runlevel  6 is used to reboot the
system, and runlevel 1 is used to put to system into a state where
administrative tasks can be performed; this is the default if neither the -h
or -r flag is given to shutdown."

The system is working as designed.  What you probably wanted was:

sudo shutdown -hP now

Scott K