printer

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Dec 2 09:34:06 UTC 2006

Norman,

norman wrote:

> Sorry to report that, so far, I have not managed to complete the
> procedure. Having followed all the advice given with regard to my Ubuntu
> box I started the printer setup procedure on the windows laptop. I got
> as far as entering the URL and could get no further. The laptop was
> unable to contact the printer. I wonder whether there is something else
> I need to do such as configuring CUPS to print from the network.

I've not followed this thread, but you probably need to modify the
'network' section in /etc/cupsd.conf.

I have a line in there that says 'Port 631' which causes cupsd to listen
on port 631. It may be there already, but commented out.

You can be more specific and use the Listen directive to specify which
network addresses to listen on.

You probably also need to modify the access permission section. Mine
looks like this:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 192.168.8.0/24
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

Which allows printing from my home network and the Linux box itself.

You will need to restart cupsd to effect the changes.

You can also check if cupsd is listening by running 'netstat -l -t' in a
terminal window. By default it only listens on the local interface.

Good luck.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold