I need help or advice for 3 issues concerning Gateway MX675 laptop

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 1 22:52:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 20:34 -0500, Kel wrote:
> irst I would like to say that Ubuntu rocks.  Having said that I am
> trying to resolve several issues with Ubuntu edgy on my Gateway MX675
> laptop.  I haven't been able to get the internal wireless broadcom card
> to work with either NDiswrapper or the cutter.  I am a moderate to
> intermediate Linux user, I can get the OS to recognize the card, the
> card is active, I have been unable to get the card to see any network
> for me to connect to.

I might be able to help you there, I recently got three different
Broadcom based cards working well using combinations of fw-cutter and
ndiswrapper. Let us know the actual chipset number, you can prob find
out by running:
	lspci|grep Broadcom
or	lspci|grep Broadcom\ Corporation

Also if you are trying to use ndiswrapper make sure the bcm43xx module
isn't loaded
	sudo modprobe -r bcm43xx
and if it works then you can blacklist the blighter.

>  My second problem is sound, my laptop comes with
> the Intel ICH5 driver.  I have tried various settings with Alsa, no luck
> in getting any sound out of the laptop.  Third, I have been unsuccessful
> in getting my Verizon V620 broadband card to work.  The card initializes
> but never seems to connect.
>
> Because of the fact that I like Ubuntu so much over the other flavors of
> Linux, I have decided to continue tinkering and researching the issues
> mentioned until I find a solution, no matter how frustrating it becomes.

I respect any one with that kind of resolve. In fact that's how I began
with Linux about 9 months ago. Except then I simply said I'm not using
winduz no matter what.