printer

Bill Davidson harley7 at cogeco.ca
Fri Dec 1 14:00:02 UTC 2006

Mitch Contla wrote:
> I'm running Dapper, so it may be different. In fact
> /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf is referenced as an include file from
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (so is browse.conf). Normally, you would simply
> stick the Listen directives directly in cupsd.conf, but the ubuntu (and
> probably debian) packages, at least through Dapper, use include files so
> that changes to cupsd.conf are minimized.
>
> Based on what your telling me, it appears the package maintainers may
> have reverted to calling these directives in cupsd.conf, which is how a
> "normal" cups install would work. I'm assuming that:
>
> $ cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep '^[^#]*Listen'
>
> ... would verify this.

Yep here it is:
$ cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep '^[^#]*Listen'
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

> Of course for Norman, this means that if he's running Edgy, my
> instructions will need to be altered a bit to add the add/modify the
> Listen directives directly in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Are you out there
> Norman?

Well I see that he's running dapper, so all is good over there I would
guess.

> It would be nice if the package maintainers picked one way and stuck
> with it!

Indeed. It's bad enough that config files vary between distros, but when
things are different across different versions of the same distro....
very confusing. :/

Bill