When do you turn off your Ubuntu boxes?

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 09:13:03 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Peter Hummers <phummers at iname.com> wrote:

I turn off the computer, audio system (a "bass speaker" and 2 extra
speakers), the printer and the monitor, the router, then unplug
everything, then go to sleep at night. This not because of the strain
in components (let's face it, it's unlikely I'll be running this same
system in 5 years, and it's worked well for 2 years already) but
because I don't want to waste power.

Transformers leak, so I unplug them when I don't use them.
Furthermore, this way I protect the system from random electrical
storms. I could buy an UPS, but that'd cost me, I don't _need_ it, and
my neighbors would kill me when the beep started. I could buy a "surge
protected" plugset, but somehow I don't trust them that much. So the
economical solution is to unplug everything I can when I go to sleep,
or in case of electrical storms. Even the DSL cable, of course.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar
MSN - GTalk - Jabber: moranar at gmail.com