alternative cd

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Fri Dec 1 02:18:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:43 +0000, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:

> When I use the Alternative CD for installing Edgy on my laptop do I need
> to get a Sighted person to press any function keys to make any choices
> as regards installing or when you pop the CD in the drive will it boot
> into the installation?

Normally the alternate CD is not needed and not the easiest way of
installing Ubuntu.  The main reason for running it is when your system
has limited memory, say less than 192 MB or so.  Second reason is when
upgrading from CD.

The alternate CD is the good old text-mode installer, which means using
the keyboard ocastionally to tab to an [Ok] or hit the space bar to
click a checkmark.   This will not come natural to just any average
sighted person. :-)

So with or without sighted assistance, I think the best way to install
is the regular Desktop CD.  (i.e. the Live CD that also installs)

Cheers,
Chanchao