printer

Mitch Contla mcontla at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 01:21:54 UTC 2006

Bill Davidson said the following on 11/30/2006 04:21 PM:
> Mitch Contla wrote:
>
>> /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf is created by cupsys.postinst when you
>> install the cupsys package. You are definitely right about my post not
>> being clear. I will correct that.
>>

> Hmmmm. I don't have that file, or the directory /etc/cups/cups.d/. I
> have cupsys installed however. I'm running a fresh install of edgy.
> Could it be that newer versions of the cupsys package no longer create
> that file and directory?
>
> Bill

I'm running Dapper, so it may be different. In fact
/etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf is referenced as an include file from
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf (so is browse.conf). Normally, you would simply
stick the Listen directives directly in cupsd.conf, but the ubuntu (and
probably debian) packages, at least through Dapper, use include files so
that changes to cupsd.conf are minimized.

Based on what your telling me, it appears the package maintainers may
have reverted to calling these directives in cupsd.conf, which is how a
"normal" cups install would work. I'm assuming that:

$ cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep '^[^#]*Listen'

... would verify this.

Of course for Norman, this means that if he's running Edgy, my
instructions will need to be altered a bit to add the add/modify the
Listen directives directly in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Are you out there
Norman?

It would be nice if the package maintainers picked one way and stuck
with it!

--
Mitch