[linux] Triple boot:XP,ubuntu&FC5 grub failed

Anu-Linux linuxdassa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 03:53:25 UTC 2006

hey gayal,

something like this happened to me and i added the boot image and the initrd
images to the /etc/boot/grub/menu.lst.

okay if you can boot to fedora, try mounting the root partition of ubuntu.
then cd to /boot/. open a nother terminal, and cd to /boot/ in fedora
partition (to see the two partitions easily).

this is my menu.lst to boot the ubuntu. (your details are differ from this)

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-386
savedefault
boot

copy and past the ubuntu kernel image, root, initrd details from  /boot in
ubuntu and paste in to /boot/grub/menu.lst in fedora.

** make sure you havent delete the ubuntu partition when you install fedora.
;-)

if you can't mount to either fedora or ubuntu, use a live cd (knoppix) and
edit the grub.

give it a try... worked for me. :-)

good luck!

On 8/30/06, Gayal <gayal.rupasinghe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was using Win XP with FC5 and wanted to install Ubuntu as well.
>
> So i deleted the FC5 partition (just for the fun of doing it) and
> installed ubuntu straight from the live cd V6.10.
> And my laptop dual booted perfectly with XP.
> After that i installed FC5 and during the creation of boot loader i added
> XP and Ubutu as well from there respective partitions.
>
> But then triple boot failed.
> This is the message i get when selected ubuntu from Fedora Core 5 Grub
> Menu
> -----------------------------------
>
> Booting 'ubuntu'
> rootnoverify (hd0,6)
> chainloadre +1
>
> Error 13: Invalid or Unsupported executable format.
> Press any key to continue
>
> so how can i fix this problem and tripple boot my laptop.
>
> my file systems are as follows:
> XP - NTFS
> ubuntu - reiserfs
> FC5 - Ext3