vmware on ubuntu

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 18:41:53 UTC 2006

> I got vmware server up and running, and put XP up as a virtual machine.
> What's puzzling me is that there are no sound or usb devices showing.
> I know that Ubuntu sees these devices (although sound on Ubuntu is a bit
> of a toss-up).
> Has anyone here gotten these devices to work properly on vmware server?
>
> Thanks for the input.

Did you try with vmware-player ?

Note : Vmware doesn't use alsa or esd. It directly uses /dev/dsp . So
was doing skype till version 1.3 beta. That means sound won't work if
you have another soft using the sound card. You should check if you got
that kind of soft open (totem ... ).

Concerning USB, I succeeded in using it on vmware-player. But vmware
server is a little bit different. it's meant to permit remote usage of
the virtual machine. It won't surprise me that you got complex setting
to make to have it work.