listing files

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Thu Aug 31 15:18:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 04:08, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> How do I list files on something other than a hard drive when using the
> command line?
> I have a CD burned of the latest Ubuntu but I need to find out if there
> is a fault with the files ie whether it has burned properly.

> A directory listing might tell me if all of the files in the iso burned
> onto the CD.

Unfortunately that won't work, unless the burning process was interrupted in
the middle (in which case you wouldn't need to verify anything). This is
because the files list (TOC - table of contents) is written regardless of
content beign correctly written (or written at all, for that matter).

You'd better stick with one of the options proposed by Ted Merley. MD5 sum
would be my personal choice, if you burn a CD from an ISO (which is your
case).

In another situation, if you want to verify a CD which was burnt on the fly,
you could use "diff -rq /path/to/dir /media/cdrom" changing paths where
apropriate.