a possible solution to sound noise

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 13:30:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-31-08 at 14:35 +0200, Luqman wrote:

> Finally, I found out that mic settings in mixer were put on a very high
> level. Adjusting it in alsamixer improved the sound immediately.

I had something similar happen to me and my "C-Media USB Headphone Set"
sound card that I use because the SiS one in my laptop doesn't like
Linux.  The problem wasn't the mic settings -- they were high, but the
mic didn't appear to interfere much -- but instead it turned out to be
the "Auto Gain Control".  When it was turned on, 90% of the sound (but
not all, for some bizarre reason!) was crap.  When it was muted
everything was fine.  That too may help people with weird noise
problems.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
institution of slavery in the States where it exists." --Abraham Lincoln