Hal problem

Dieter Schicker dieter.schicker at uni-graz.at
Thu Aug 31 09:30:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

in the last few days I experienced problems with hal on different
machines with different hardware in our lab. The error message I most
often got was "Could not start hal" when I logged into gnome with gdm.
On some machines I restarted linux (!!!) and the problem was gone, on
other machines I had to reinstall hal completely.
I'm not a hal expert but what I can say is: I do not like reinstalling
software (probably because that reminds too much on windows ... ;-))
just to get it to run again.
So I just wanted to ask if someone else experienced that problem, too
and if there is something one can do.

Regards & thanks in advance
Dieter