[Edgy] Metacity : 3D stuff supposed to work ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Aug 31 02:55:58 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am testing Edgy, and now that Aiglx has been recently enabled by default, and that metacity is also compiled with the new "compositing" stuff, I wanted to see if it worked.
But it doesn't. As far as I understand/read, metacity added a key in Gconf, by the name of "compositing_manager", which is meant to let the user turn the effects on and off, literally on the fly, without even restarting the session.
I did find this new option/key in Gconf (/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager), but when I enable it, nothing happens at all, metacity still acts as "normal" ;-)

My video card is an old ATI Radeon 9250, which enjoys a 3D open source driver, and is listed as working on Aiglx's project page.
And indeed Aiglx works (can be seen in Xorg's log file), because I later tried compiz, and it works.

So, anyone knows if the "new" metacity is supposed to work, does it work on your machine, or is it just me and I should file a bug report about it ?

--
Vince