how to access machine using telnet

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 02:55:18 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe.alfaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In my case (some time ago) I was dealing with a headless server I was
> > set up on the other side of the world. (I live in Japan - server was
> > in Canada) I wanted telnetd to be running, but not used except as a
> > backup way to get in if sshd failed to work. (Which had happened once
> > after changing the config file.) The insecurity of telnet is that
> > everything is sent in the clear and passwords could be 'sniffed' on
> > the local network. As a backup service there would be nothing to sniff
> > unless I couldn't get in via ssh.
>
> Or somebody tried running a password cracking program against your
> telnet server. If you want a backup in case sshd goes mad, better get
> access to the machine using an out-of-band mechanism, like a serial
> line connected to a modem.
Is not the probability of get hacked the same on the SSH or on the
Telnet if somebody use a Dictionary attack, or any other method?
I think that the only difference is that on SSH the password goes
encripted and on Telnet it goes in plain text.
But if there is no sniffer outthere, the probability to have your
password broken is the same on Telnet or in SSH.
If I am wrong please explain me.
regards,
Guillermo.