Rebuilt kernel => no consoles?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Aug 30 13:52:39 UTC 2006

Luis <lemsx1 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 8/28/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> writes:

>> > Create a kernel with a custom version number.
>>
>> I have done that.  But the ieee80211 Makefile uses whatever the
>> current kernel is.  Are you saying I need to build the kernel, reboot
>> into it, then rebuild ieee80211, or...
>>
>> am I expected to read INSTALL, realize I need to set IEEE80211_INC,
>> realize that doesn't cover the /lib/modules/... stuff, grep the
>> Makefile for uname, and discover I need to set KVER and KERNELRELEASE
>> too? ;-)
>>
>> Seriously, does that work?  How do _you_ do it?
>
> apt-get source linux-source
> cd /usr/src/
> tar xjf linux-source*.tar.bz2
> cd linux-source<TAB>
> cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
> make oldconfig
> # download my interactive make-kpkg.sh
> # http://lems.kiskeyix.org/toolbox/?f=make-kpkg.sh
> make-kpkg.sh
> # answer a few questions
> # and your .deb packages are now in /usr/src/*.deb

Will this somehow integrate the build/packaging of these modules I
have to download from sourceforge (ieee80211 and ipw3945)?  Does the
interactive make-kpkg prompt me to place the source somewhere, and ask
me what the installation steps are?  The former doesn't even have a
configure step, IIRC.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting