Rebuilt kernel => no consoles?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Aug 28 14:59:20 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Oh, and now I remember what made me so reluctant to do this.  The last
>> time I tried to rebuild the stack, the very first thing it wanted to
>> do was blow away all of the relevant existing files in
>> /lib/modules/..., which means that undoing the install if something
>> goes wrong is tricky at best.  How do you deal with that issue?
>>
> Create a kernel with a custom version number.

I have done that.  But the ieee80211 Makefile uses whatever the
current kernel is.  Are you saying I need to build the kernel, reboot
into it, then rebuild ieee80211, or...

am I expected to read INSTALL, realize I need to set IEEE80211_INC,
realize that doesn't cover the /lib/modules/... stuff, grep the
Makefile for uname, and discover I need to set KVER and KERNELRELEASE
too? ;-)

Seriously, does that work?  How do _you_ do it?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting