Mounting a USB Zip drive

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 28 13:32:43 UTC 2006

R Kimber wrote:

> I have a zip drive that mounts OK and I can read it, but I have no
> write permission.  It gets mounted as:-
>
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 2006-08-27 18:37 zip
>
> How do I change things so that I can write to this disk?

Put the user into the plugdev group...

> <grumble>
> In the Good Old Days, all I had to do was put an entry into
> fstab.  Now we have the ghastly and unfriendly udev
> </grumble>

I beg to differ.  udev is no less friendly than fstab - more complicated but
can do more.  I still wish they'd continued to include the "guide to
writing udev rules" in the package.  No matter how outdated it is, it's
still the best guide on how to make udev sit up, beg and do every other
trick except play dead.
--
derek