Xubuntu: questions

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 28 06:26:41 UTC 2006

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:33 -0700
"Harold Johnson" <harold.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/27/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >

> > I wish someone would come up with a real alternative that runs well on old
> > machines
>

> A project like iCab or Camino (but for Ubuntu, of course)...

The original "Phoenix" ( circa 2002-3 ? ) was genuinely lightweight but
usable, and Firebird, its successor , was also pretty light, IIRC... then
the third name change to Firefox... Up to about Firefox 0.8 it was still
pretty light, then it seemingly got heavier and slower until from the 1.0
series on there seemed to be really no difference I could discern from
running Mozilla.

I've occasionally been tempted to be archaeological and reinstall Phoenix,
but I know from a security viewpoint that would be A Bad Thing (TM)   ;-)
Actually I don't even know if it would still run, with all the changes
that have happened since then...

Peter