Results from WVDIAL

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 05:09:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 09:59, Patrick Newberry wrote:
> Still struggling with getting connected via my modem.
> I've had the modem check out, it is good.
> I feel the install of Ubuntu is fine and all is good with Ubuntu
>
> Using wvdial I can see there is some problem but not sure what?
> Can anyone help me discern that is happening here:
> This is a new us robotics v92 external modem.
> I have set it up on a win 98 machine and also drops right away as well.
{snippage}
> |~[1c][0e]`[1c][1c][0e]` --> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and
> hoping for the best. --> Starting pppd at Wed Aug 23 23:14:54 2006
> --> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
> --> --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
> --> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
> --> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
> --> Pid of pppd: 9987

Patrick, I haven't used wvdial on Ubuntu
But the 'permission denied error' makes me think you need to
try running it as 'sudo wvdial'

The 'CONNECT' message is from your modem, and says it's talking
to the modem at your ISP.  The 'hoping for the best' thing is normal
with my ISP too...

Post the whole log again after trying it with sudo....

Brian