locale help please

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun Aug 27 23:12:10 UTC 2006

Marco wrote the following on 27.08.2006 23:21:

>> basically Ubuntu supports utf-8
>
> Isn't it more efficient to use iso-8859-15 if I don't need exotic language
> characters?

Depends on how you define "efficient". When it comes to hd-space maybe
your right, but that´s not the only measure for efficiency.

<snip>
> de_AT at euro is there.

That´s good.

>> $ cat /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local
>
> Here de_AT at euro is missing!
> But I have it in /var/lib/locales/supported.d/de. That should have the same
> effect, doesn't it?

Yes. The name of this file doesn´t matter, only it´s content.

>> $ grep de_AT /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
>> de_AT.UTF-8 UTF-8
>> de_AT ISO-8859-1
>> de_AT at euro ISO-8859-15
>>
>> add these lines to /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local (this file must be
>> created first)
>
> Why do I need more than de_AT at euro ISO-8859-15 there?

You do not "need" to enter any of them, just the ones you like/need.
It was a suggestion of possibilities.

>> then
>> $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> No new files created. All files already were up-to-date.

<snip>

Ok then i am stuck on this.

bye Thilo
- --