swap on a lv for hibernation

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Aug 27 18:44:38 UTC 2006

· Gabriel Dragffy <dragffy at yandex.ru>:

> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 18:48 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> · Gabriel Dragffy <dragffy at yandex.ru>:
>>
>> > Aha maybe it was this. If I remember correctly however, it was Alexander
>> > Skwar who mentioned this suspend to swap thingy, but I'm far from sure.
>>
>> Yep. Somebody (you? *G*) asked if this works and I tested it and
>> found, that it indeed works.
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>> --
>> Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele.
>>                 -- Albert Einstein
>
> Actually it wasn't me,

Oh, sorry about this.

> but I did take a slight interest in the thread.
> Now since I have changed my only computer over to LVM I wanted to
> implement suspending to swap. I'm still unclear on exactly what must be
> done, could you please refresh my memory? I'm completely new to this
> area, and completely clueless.

Well, as I mentioned, I'm using the suspend2 kernel from dagobah
along with the hibernate script.

In /etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf, I set:

SuspendDevice swap:/dev/sys/Swap

In the relevant line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, I changed:

from:
# kopt=root=/dev/mapper/sys-URoot ro resume2=swap:/dev/hda6

to:
# kopt=root=/dev/mapper/sys-URoot ro resume2=swap:/dev/sys/Swap

And then update-grub must be run. Alternatively, the "kernel" command
line of the wanted kernel is to be modified.

That's it.

I said it before, but I'll repeat myself: I do not know, if the
suspend-to-disk which is in the stock kernel supports swap on a LV.

> PS> I'm absolutely loving LVM, it's so amazing, creating and resizing
> partitions while they're on line. Gone are the days of hacking about
> with utilities such as Gparted.

Yep. And it's so very easy to use. I find it *extremely* bad, that
the GUI installer of 6.06 doesn't support LVM :( As I haven't yet
downloaded anything from Edgy, I cannot tell if this has changed -
has it?

I really don't understand why Ubuntu doesn't create LVM by itself
when it automatically has to create filesystems.

Alexander Skwar
--
Manche Hähne glauben, daß die Sonne ihretwegen aufgeht.
                -- Theodor Fontane