Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sun Aug 27 02:06:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 01:55 +0100, GuiGuy wrote:
> Simon Bassett;1427023 Wrote:
> >

> > Have you used pan?

> Three or four years ago and I didn't much like it. But I'll have
> another look.

> KLIBIDO looks promising but it regularly corrupts its download queue
> list. I'm not aware of a client like it to run under Gnome.

Looks a lot like Pan, even down to the icons. Only recent versions of
pan have nzb support, and those versions of pan have yet to find their
way into Ubuntu, but they are in Debian/sid, so we may see them soon
here, too.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/news/pan
http://pan.rebelbase.com/

> Getting back on topic, the lack of robust GUI software is probably the
> main reason I haven't changed entirely. To be honest, I program
> business apps for Windoze customers so I suppose I'm stuck there. But
> it would be nice to have Linux as my primary OS

Perhaps you'd be interested in working on a client that suits your
specific needs (assuming one doesn't already exist)? Sounds like you
have the skills to do, and you might be able to solve a lot of other
users' problems!

> BTW & OT again, I was pleased to see 'QuickPar'
> (http://www.quickpar.org.uk) ran straight out of Wine. That was
> encouraging.

Glad to know you are able to run what you need.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org