Laptop freezes

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sun Aug 27 00:20:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 14:01 +0200, Nils wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Kubuntu Dapper on my compaq nx7010. Dapper ran fine for
> some time, but today and yesterday the laptop frooze 2 times, i
> checked /var/log/messages but didn't find anything about that.
>
> I don't have any proprietary driver installed (like fglrx), but I use
> hibernate, which has been unstable some time ago (but worked fine for
> me so far..).
>
> Now I'm looking for ideas to figure out what caused my laptop to freeze..

I resolved the lockup problem on my laptop (Thinkpad T30 w/ATI Radeon
Mobility 7500) by modifying my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Around the lines that look like this:
============
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility M7 LW
[Radeon Mobility 9000]"
        Driver          "ati"

Insert this before "EndSection":
        Option "RenderAccel" "0"

After restarting the computer, I have had no more crashes.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org