How much /var?

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 16:26:00 UTC 2006

If you have no databases (mysql, postgresql, etc) in /var/lib, you can
get away with a 3GB /var. That has proven to always work for me.

In servers, I set this to whatever space is left after doing a huge
/usr (10 GB or so), / (root) (3gb, which turns out to be a waste
really), /home (10 GB) and /var is everything left (yep, huge). This
is my own "rule of thumb" that I have acquire after years of having to
re-create /var using very ugly hacks!

Of course this is not a problem for workstations, which I usually tend
to just leave in 2 partitions: / and /home. 25 GB in / and the rest in
/home. Yep, some 3D games take a lot of gigs and they all go in
/usr/local/games for me.