Laptop freezes

Frank Hahn fhahn at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 13:36:52 UTC 2006

Nils <elitepenguin at gmx.net> wrote in
news:2f30da460608260501k1aa48515vdbcb42748b8c27cf at mail.gmail.com:

> I'm running Kubuntu Dapper on my compaq nx7010. Dapper ran fine for
> some time, but today and yesterday the laptop frooze 2 times, i
> checked /var/log/messages but didn't find anything about that.
>
> I don't have any proprietary driver installed (like fglrx), but I use
> hibernate, which has been unstable some time ago (but worked fine for
> me so far..).
>
> Now I'm looking for ideas to figure out what caused my laptop to
> freeze..

I don't really have any ideas but I installed the Dapper version of
Kubuntu and it seemed to run fine for a week or so and then I also
started having lockup problems.

I later installed the Dapper version of Ubuntu, and have not had any
lockups. The only think I could find in the logs was a possible memory
corruption error. I did not write it down so I can't be more specific.

I ran the memory tester program from the Grub boot menu but never saw
any type of error. This machine also dual boots Windows XP which does
not really prove much.

The laptop is a Gateway 7510GX which has a 100MB hard drive. It has an
ATI video card and ATI chipset I believe. It has a Broadcom 4318
wireless card. I can't remember the name of the builtin wired network
card. I have been able to get both cards to work. It also has an AMD 64
processor but I am not using a 64-bit OS.

--
Frank Hahn