Video Card Recommendation

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Sat Aug 26 10:29:02 UTC 2006

Thanks Felipe,

Actually, I have a Riva TNT 2 (M64) with 32 MB RAM, but I was unable to set
it up to run 3D stuff.

I mean, when trying to play game such as Solar Wolf or Maelstorm the display
was really slow - unplayable...

I am sure I miss configured something...

Can someone point me to a HOWTO regarding the installation / configuration
for that card?

Thanks !

On 8/24/06, Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe.alfaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am planning an upgrade to my humble Linux Box. I would like your input
> > regarding this video card:
> >
> > http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=61
>
> I have a 5200FX with 256MB RAM (I think it's very similar to the
> proposed one) and it works fine in Linux. However, if you plan to use
> 3D stuff, I guess you'll end up installing nVidia's closed-source
> driver which works fine. In fact, Novell's Xgl is wonderful and this
> card can drive it extremely well.
>
> > Any of you have experiance with it on Ubuntu 6.06.1?
>
> Yes, this is the distro I'm currently using.
>
> > Maybe another recommendation?
>
> ATI has better open-source driver support, but as a personal
> preference I prefer nVidia.
>
> > I am not a gamer, so I don't need anything too strong, but I wouldn't
> mind
> > it to be more advanced for the future - I can always move it to my next
> > computer.
>
> This card is more than enough and, if you're not a hardcore gamer it
> will be more than enough.
>
> > I use my box to surf the net, watch videos and play logic games (Pingus,
> > XLogical...) not anything fancy.
>
> I've use a TNT RIVA 2 for doing that kind of stuff, so the card you
> proposed will do that and much more.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html