H/W: SATA optical drives, what chips work ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at numericable.fr
Sat Aug 26 01:18:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have got two Plextor DVD writer ("PX-712 SA") which unfortunately
happen to have a SATA interface. I tried connecting them to a cheap
add-on SATA card that was based on a Silicon Image Sil 3112 chip, but
it didn't work very well to say the least, even under Windows XP with
the supplied drivers !

I already wrote about this here, nearly a year and half ago, and
someone said that he had the very same drive, and that it was working
perfectly, under Ubuntu Hoary, with an Intel ICH-5 chip.

The problem is that I couldn't find any SATA card based on that chip,
so I fear that these chips were only mounted on motherboard, or who
knows, maybe actually part of a chipset that I ignore the name of :-/

Does anyone know what motherboards were fitted with this Intel ICH-5
SATA chip ? Is it a stand alone chip, or does it only come as part of a
chipset ? What is the name of this chipset ? Did it come only on Intel
motherboard, or did other motherboard manufacturers use this ICH-5
chip ?

Alternatively, if anyone got this drive to work on a different SATA
chip, please put your hand up ! :-)

Thanks for any help...

--
Vince