launcher

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 25 14:29:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:39:18 +0100
Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:

> I am not familiar with the commands required by launcher and would
> welcome some help please. There is a file in a folder on the desktop
> which will run an application when I double click it. What would I put
> into the command in the launcher window.

First, I'm assuming the file is executable. If not, run for example

chmod +x ~/Desktop/yourfolder/file-to-execute

(This is for the GNOME Desktop - not sure what the equivalent is in KDE )

Second, is it a graphical application, or one that runs without X (GNOME
etc)  ?

If the latter, you will need "run in terminal" .

Third, in the "Command" field, type the full path to the now executable
file, which would be

~/Desktop/yourfolder/file-to-execute

( or /home/your-username/Desktop/yourfolder/file-to-execute )

Note the capital "D" in "Desktop".

Not sure why you would put the file in a directory on your desktop though -
much neater to put it in ~/bin  or something like that - or if you want all
users to be able to execute it, put it in /usr/local/bin  .

Peter