HowTo use Evolution mail with GMAIL

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at numericable.fr
Fri Aug 25 03:01:34 UTC 2006

"Jillian Skarm" <jillsjill at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to Ubuntu and just install it.  How should I use Evolution
> mail with GMail. I try to enable it but dont know what is the server
> SMTP or something. Now Evolution is not working. Please help

Hi Jillian,

Just yesterday, I created a Gmail account, and successfully configured my mail client ("Sylpheed") to use POP & SMTP access.
It's easy, all the information you need to configure an (any) e-mail client, is summarized in this page :

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

...then don't forget to enable POP access in Gmail:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273

I have been using it for 24 hours now, works perfectly, if jsut a little slow (takes one or two seconds) to check for new messages, maybe because of the safety/authentication procedure it uses, and/or because I don't know where the Gmail server is physically located, maybe it isn't even in my country, Google didn't tell !

HTH,

--
Vince