Synaptic freezes after use

Robert E. Butts himco2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 25 01:20:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 20:33 +0100, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> What I mean is, it completes its update nicely, but instead of
> returning to a live user interface it simply hangs, sitting on the
> screen until I get a 'Synaptic not responding (or words to this
> effect) dialogue.  I simply click 'Force Quit' and it closes, working
> fine next time I use it until I complete an upgrade.  It is entirely
> consistent in this.

I've had the same problem.  In my case, it happened most often when
installing lots of packages, and was largely self-correcting when I
installed just a few packages.  You might try selecting just one, and
make that a small one, and see if Synaptic freezes.  Might not hurt to
clean out your cache, too:  sudo apt-get clean.  You can also, I think,
rebuild your database, but I'm unsure how to do that.