Subject: vmware

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Aug 24 18:03:52 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:37:06 -0400
> From: John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net>
> Subject: vmware
> To: Ubuntu User List <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> I've had problems running lots of win apps on both wine and
> crossover, and a couple of members here recommended vmware as
> an alternative.
>
> Do I install vmware-server on the Ubuntu box and run the apps
> from it? Or do I also need the vmware-player/workstation in
> order to run these apps?
>
> Thanks for any input.

Hi John,
vmware server consists of two components (well there are more,
but only two are what you need to start it)
-The server itself, running on one linux box
-The console that connects to the server either locally to the
server that is installed on the machine where console is started
or remote from any windows or linux machine that is part of the
network.
-Then there is a webfrontend (not what I am talking about, here

To sum it up:
vmware server can be used as the free alternative to vmware
workstation, so that any machine on the network starts it's
local windows locally,
or it can be used in a classical server understanding, installed
centrally and accessed from the network machines that do NOT
NEED to have a locally installed windows.

hope this helps
Eberhard