listing all user accounts that exist on dapper server

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 14:50:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:00 -0500, Oscar Veloz wrote:
> How do I list all user accounts that exist on a dapper server, and what
> steps or what checklist do I use to check the security of a dapper
> server from a rogue admin that has left.  The obvious is ssh and telnet
> access, but what other vulnerabilities might exist?

You can look at /etc/passwd to get a list of all accounts. I would also
look at /etc/sudoers to see who has sudo access. If you have a root
passwd, then change it! Check for accounts whose UID is 0 as that
account has root access. I'd also get your users to change their
passwords in case he has run a password cracking program.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold