I am *SO* going to turn off automatic updates.

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Aug 24 07:07:14 UTC 2006

Ok, back on my beloved Unbuntu.. How I could have doubted you..

[ Hugs, tears, post-argument making-up sex ]

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 02:45 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:

> >    7. Hold Control and Alt and press Delete. This will reboot your
> > system in a functional state.

> And without X it's like what? Non-functional? :p

Heh, that's why Linux always comes out best in reliability surveys..
When something locks up on Windows, users say "Windows crashed". Or
"Microsoft broke my motherf*&$*(&^# computer with their $%(*&@$%
update!" They don't know or care that lots of stuff actually kept
running.

When something locks up on Linux, any users will quickly establish with
surgical precision exactly WHAT crashed, and, in fact, "Linux" was still
running fine. (Never mind that they got chucked out of their desktop
environment and all productivity applications: They're still
cliff-hanging with two fingers on a command prompt, so in their world
they're still very much in business. :P

> > in that case you'll want to do a
> > sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
> > then your password

I found more satisfaction in 'killall gdm'

> I believe Sylvain was making a sideways crack that with Linux, you still
> can still do stuff with your machine,

Yes, even without X running it still makes an excellent paper-weight.

Plus it lights up the room in a cool blueish hue, I can warm my hands on
the air coming out of the fan vents, the cat can sleep on it, etc, etc.

* Thanks everyone ! *

Cheers,
Chanchao