Installed a Graphics Card--Now My Wireless Won't Work

Josh Stegmaier josh.steggy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:32:27 UTC 2006

I recently posted this to the Ubuntu Forums and have not received a reply,
so I thought I'd give it a try on the mailing list in hopes of finding
somewhere out there that can help. For those who read this earlier on the
forums, I apologize for the repeat.

Hello all,

Yesterday, I purchased a new NVIDIA GeForce MX 4000 graphic card and
installed it in my computer. I discovered, upon booting, that, though I was
able to start X my doing a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and setting it to
use VESA drivers, I was unable to access the Internet. So, to get my new
graphics card to work, I had to shutdown, remove it, reboot using my
on-board graphics chip set, download the NVIDIA drivers, reinstalling the
card, then finally running the program to configure the card to work.

Now, I can boot with the graphics card with no problem. However, I am now
unable to access the Internet from my Ubuntu computer. I'm using a Broadcom
PCI wireless card, for which I used NDISWrapper to install the drivers to
get it to work. my lspci lists the card, and NDISWrapper tells me that both
the hardware and the driver are present. My Network Manager tells me wlan0
is activated, but it doesn't seem to be communicating with anything (or
instance, it doesn't have an IP address.)

The only thing I can think of is that adding the graphics card in a PCI slot
is somehow interfering with my wireless card working from the other PCI
slot. However, I have no idea whatsoever on how to fix this, or what else
might be causing the problem. My search in the forums and on Google have
turned up nothing of any use to me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh Stegmaier

--
"There is no such thing as a human being who does not have beliefs so
deep-rooted that when they are challenged, it makes him or her extremely