Using Ubuntu to test hardware

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 00:23:31 UTC 2006

We just got a laptop back from being repaired. I know ubuntu CDs now
have the memory test thing if you boot from them. Are there any other
tests that Ubuntu can run, in order to put the machine through its
paces for a few hours and see if it really is fixed?

(this is the 3rd or 4th time it's been returned to us "repaired" and
in the past it's always stopped working again after a few hours or
days. This time, they bashed in the power button and some pixels and
scratched the casing but all else seems fine, the store is
http://www.futureshop.ca btw, don't go there!).

Just to clarify, I'm asking how Ubuntu can be used to test hardware,
not to test Ubuntu itself, which is working just fine.

The laptop is running Hoary if that's important (they kept it in the
shop for that long), though I have some Dapper CDs ready to burn.

Thanks

--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeanHammond