Ubuntu vs Freespire

Lorin Pino ljpino at grm.net
Wed Aug 23 13:33:31 UTC 2006

Sylvain Girard wrote:
> (snip)
> On 8/23/06, *Alain Muls* <alain.muls at telenet.be
> <mailto:alain.muls at telenet.be>> wrote:
>
>     On Wednesday 23 August 2006 10:47, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>     > On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 10:20 +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
>     > >(snip)
>     > >       * I never had the possibility under Linux (although I
>     install
>     > >         all codecs using apt-get and EasyUbuntu) to see a movie
>     > >         trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/) in the
>     browser, well
>     > >         FreeSpire did it immediately. I was amazed by how well it
>     > >         worked using the mplayer plugin. I do not know how to
>     install
>     > >         it for firefox in (K)Ubuntu.
>     >
>     > (snip)
>     I know about the not inclusion of propieatary codecs/drivers/...
>     The Wiki and
>     EasyUbuntu should do it. But I had no success with the trailers
>     and DVD is
>     neither working on Ubuntu (the latter was not tested under FreeSpire)

(snip)
Since you are using firefox, do you have the plug-in installed for
m-player (mozilla-mplayer)?  Gstreamer?  W32codecs?  Easyubuntu, or
automatix should be able to get it working.  I used sourceomatic to get
my sources list, but I can't find the site again to give you the url.
Maybe someone else can supply that if needed.  If you want to send me a
list of what you have installed for codecs and players, I can compare it
to mine and see if there are things obviously missing.
HTH
~Lorin