Ubuntu vs Freespire

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Wed Aug 23 08:47:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 10:20 +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using since 5.04 (K)Ubuntu (after having used SuSE for about 6
> years) and use it to develop (commercial) programs that run on both
> Linux and Windows. I like the Ubuntu approach where you start with a
> system and add services/programs/libraries that you need. Also when I
> decided to switch from SuSE to Ubuntu, the hardware detection was much
> better and the SuSE RPM dependency problems has never had a similar
> problem using the apt-tools. Great job from the developers.
>
> I also have my kids on (K)Ubuntu and that is where I have some
> problems, namely in the multimedia arena. I decided a couple days ago
> to try out FreeSpire to find out how much different the multimedia
> experience is. I tried the LiveCD of Freespire and Ubuntu on the new
> DELL Inspiron 5400 PC of my wife (which runs windows XP). Here some
> results:
>
> Hardware detection:
>
>       * neither OS detected the Wireless card or the sound card
Yes, wireless hardware manufacturers are not playing ball with linux.
It's slowly getting better though. Did you write to the hardware
manufacturer and ask for linux drivers?

>       * Ubuntu gave a 1280x1024x24b display while FreeSpire gava a
>         1600x1200x24b display. In XP I have 1920x1200 display =>
>         FreeSpire does better
Maybe Freespire did better, or maybe it just defaults to something that
happens to be closer to your hardware. Did you ask the manufacturers for
linux drivers?

>       * FreeSpire has network manager installed whilst (K)Ubuntu has
>         not. After apt-getting it in Ubuntu on my PC (DELL Inspiron
>         9300) I cannot get it to run => FreeSpire does better
>       * I never had the possibility under Linux (although I install
>         all codecs using apt-get and EasyUbuntu) to see a movie
>         trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/) in the browser, well
>         FreeSpire did it immediately. I was amazed by how well it
>         worked using the mplayer plugin. I do not know how to install
>         it for firefox in (K)Ubuntu.
Yes, this is a problem Ubuntu is continually trying to find solutions
for. One reason it's like this is that Ubuntu won't include non-free
binary packages on the CD. Sometimes for legals reasons, sometimes for
ethical reasons. Linspire doesn't take that view. If they can legally
include it they often will.

>       * I have not tried out the CNR service, but I read that a one
>         click CrossOver Offcie can be installed which would be
>         something useful for my kids since they need
>         Word/Excel/Powerpoint for school.
I seriously doubt that OpenOffice can't handle what they need. You
realise it has very good support for MS Office formats?

> I do not want to move from (K)Ubuntu to FreeSpire, but I would like to
> have a similar (or the same) multimedia experience as FreeSpire. If I
> have to pay for that (I read about releasing CNR for Ubuntu), I do not
> care. Any suggestions?
Start by installing EasyUbuntu - that'll solve most of your media
issues. Then use VLC whenever Totem (Movie Player) fails to play
anything.

Good luck.

Duncan
--