OT - But critical to me

Alan Mckinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Aug 23 08:14:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 13:53 -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> This is OT for Ubuntu per se, but it is driving me nuts.  For the last
> three weeks, every night at between 1:30 and 1:40 AM my network dies.
>
> I've had the ISP monitoring this for the entire period, and they agree
> that it is a problem.  We've contacted the telephone company, and they
> keep insisting that nothing is wrong.  We've gotten them to switch our
> incoming lines from one port/pair to another, but that didn't help.
>
> I'm going to go outside this evening at 1AM and setup my laptop and the
> dsl router on the NIB and see if it fails there, eliminating any inside
> wiring problems (since this has been running for over 5 years without
> any problems, I can't see this as being the culprit anyway).
>
> If anyone on the list has any input as to how I can get this resolved,
> I'd really appreciate it.

Two things come to mind:

1. You have a cron running at 01:30 - check /var/log/messages for stuff
running at that time
2. What country are you in? There's a South African ISP with a similar
domain to yours - you might be falling foul of Telskum^WTelkom resetting
your IP daily around that time. It's happened to me more often than I
can remember but in my case it often hangs the Marconi router as well...

alan