Where did my wireless go?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Aug 23 01:21:57 UTC 2006

My wireless card (ipw3945) has disappeared from the network
configuration applet.  Device manager shows only

  unknown (0x4227)

for that PCI slot.  Does anyone know how I can get it back?

This happened after I built and installed a new kernel... I wasn't
*too* surprised when the card didn't show up when I rebooted under the
new kernel (although there's absolutely no reason it should have
disappeared) but I left my stock dapper kernel alone, and when I
rebooted under that, the wireless card was still missing/unknown.

Can anyone help me diagnose and repair this problem?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting