hplip vs hpoj problem with hp 3055

James Leifer James.Leifer at inria.fr
Tue Aug 22 21:35:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have an HP 3055 all-in-one (printer, scanner, copier, fax) connected
via USB to my laptop running Ubuntu Dapper.

With cups and hplip installed, printing works great under
cups. However I can't get scanning to work.  According the sane pages,
the hpaio driver should be compatible with this model, but when I
run

$ sudo scanimage -L

I get no scanners.  On the other hand, apparently something is there:

$ sudo sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x3417 [HP LaserJet 3055]) at libusb:004:005

I *am* able to scan if I install hpoj, in which case the scanner is
recognised as hpoj:mlc:usb:HP_LaserJet_3055, but then I can't get cups
to work.

Ideally, hplip would work for printing *and* scanning. Help!

Feel free to ask for more diagnostic output if that would be useful.

Thanks,
-James Leifer
 INRIA Rocquencourt