xserver-xorg-core update

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Tue Aug 22 18:52:52 UTC 2006

ti, 2006-08-22 kello 14:36 +0200, Markus Schönhaber kirjoitti:
> Benjamin Zeller wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 August 2006 02:51, Gary Allen Garibaldi wrote:
> > > A word of caution. The recent update to the
> > > xserver-xorg-core_1%3a1.0.2-0ubuntu10.3_i386.deb brakes your system if
> > > you reboot.
> >
> > This warning doesn't seem to be universal, as I installed the update too
> > and my X is still working after two reboots.
>
> No problems here either. It would be interesting¹ to find out what the
> machines of the users facing this problem have in common.
> I'm using a P4 with an Intel chipset and a GF 6800GT with the nvidia driver.
>
> Regards
>   mks
>
> ¹ Read: important - because it should help the devs to track this down.

The patch broke my X too - and my brother's. There were two xorg patches
brought available today (maybe the first one was available already
yesterday, but I only noticed it this morning) and I guess the later one
was to fix the problem with the first one.

It's hard to get to know the number of potentially affected systems,
because the fix became available quickly. Apparently large part of the
installations weren't upgraded with the first patch at all and many who
installed the first patch may not have rebooted before installing the
second one. People may think they installed the problematic patch
without problems, but they actually may have installed just the second
patch.

My machine has a VIA KT400 motherboard and an Nvidia Geforce MX400
graphics card. My brother's has an Intel 440BX motherboard and Geforce
256 (NV10) graphics card.

Regards,

Ari