Software Updater crashes X session

Paul Barry mail at paulbarry.com
Tue Aug 22 17:44:54 UTC 2006

I'm using ubuntu 6.06 on a dell xps m1210.  I installed mysql 4.1.21 from
mysql.com.  I can't use the mysql 4 that is in the ubuntu repository due to
this bug:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238336

It appears to be a bug created by whoever created the ubuntu package.

So I used alien to install the mysql 4.1.21 rpms.  Now, software updater is
telling me there are updates, which are the mysql 5.0 packages.  I don't
want those, I need to stick with mysql 4.  So my first question, how to I
tell the software updater that I don't want those updates?

Secondly, and more importantly, when I open up the software updater, it
kills my x session and I end up back at the login screen and have to start a
new sesson.  What is casuing that and how can I fix it?