remote access (XDMCP VNC)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 22 17:23:39 UTC 2006

Ben Edwards wrote:

> I have got VNC working.  Think is every time I use vncviewer it popes up
> a deny/accept dialog on the computer I am connecting to.  This is there
> a way of always accepting?

I find it best (fastest & most convenient) to use FreeNX.

> Also what it the best way of starting vncserver automatically,
> preferably not on the console so I don't have to log in using GDM on the
> computer I am connecting to.

vncserver can be started out of inetd - at port 5900

> Also on my old debian box I could log into a remote computer using XDMCP
> from withing gnome, giving a window onto the remote computer similar to
> VNC, how can I set this up.

This is why I switched from VNC to FreeNX - one day that just stopped
working. I had always had to be very careful about KDM updates because it
would keep breaking my XDMCP logins, and eventually I couldn't figure out a
way to make it work at all.
--
derek