system crashed after xserver-xorg-core update

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 22 14:17:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:40:54 +0200, Harschnitz wrote:

> As a new Linux (Ubuntu) user I had 2 PC's successfully up and running
> since yesterday. Today, since the first update (xserver-xorg-core), both
> PC's are unable to run normally.
>
> As a novice I would appreciate a step by step routine that could sort
> this problem.
>
> NB The systems were fully up to date status August 21.
>
> Rob Harschnitz.

These things happen sometimes with an OS that tries to remain close
to the latest developments. Luckily, the /var/cache/apt/archives directory
contains all the previously installed packages, among which is the
xserver-xorg-core package version 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.

So, all a novice (or anyone, for that matter) has to do to reinstate
the ex ante situation is

$ sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10

and reboot (or start the gdm window manager). Since the offending
package had version number 10.3, you should in  future only install a
newer version that.