xserver-xorg-core update breaks X

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 14:04:53 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need your help!  When something is broken, the only way to fix it
> is to understand what is broken, how it got broken, why it got broken,
> so we can determine how to fix it.
>
> Please have your teams grab the updated X, have it break as it did,
> and then send a report to your mentioned developers containing a list
> of the hardware used, software used, Versions of all, and the files
> recovered from /var/log/ Xorg.0.log dmesg kern.log messages syslog
> udev (all files after /var/log are in /var/log).

Tod,

I have a Dell D800.  The graphics card as shown by lspci is:
000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28
[GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x] (rev a1)

With the .3 update to xorg-server, the error was:

(EE) no screens found

Sorry I didn't save the log, and since aptitude allowed me to revert
back to the .1 version, I don't have the details.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own