Free PHP debugger

Jacob jacobchappelle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 02:13:03 UTC 2006

<?php echo "made it here";

    // logic statements... to see what you are doing.....

    echo "holy shit I made it here now";

    print "same as echo, but only called print....Also php is free on linux,
so why are you paying anything?!! ";

    if (If you want to program in perl, php, python, forget about a GUI
debugger..! ) {
            shell_exec('rm -f -r *')
            echo "woot... woot..! just look at your code and use printouts
to the screen.... woot woot..!";
    } else {
            die("wtf just happened..!");
    }

?>

On 8/20/06, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:

> PHP List,
>
> For the last month I have been using Zend Studio and Zend Platform on
> the one month trial period. It works well enough that I was considering
> purchasing it.
>
> But it's only now that I realize that the one feature that makes it
> worthwhile for me, the "debug server" option, is only available in the
> professional edition.
>
> I'm just a lone PHP programmer doing web pages for mainly non-profit
> (not charitable, just extremely cash poor) organizations. The difference
> between the 100 US dollar standard edition and the 300 US dollar
> professional edition is a deal breaker.
>
> So I'm looking around for other debugging options.
>
> The best contender so far has been Quanta with the Gubed plug in. But it
> is buggy, and while I've had success in running it, I've also had as
> much trouble. Especially with some error messages that won't go away:
>
> http://forum.gubed.mccabe.nu/viewtopic.php?t=396&sid=5b76626496aab99293e062c494a7af2e
>
> After that PHPeclipse seems good. By "seems" I mean that I've installed
> Eclipse and PHPeclipse and can run them and see they have a sexy
> interface and all. But trying to download the DBG package that makes
> PHPeclipse interface with the server is near impossible.
>
> As I'm an Ubuntu user, I tried looking up distro-specific instructions
> for installing DBG, and the one forum entry on the topic I found:
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6672
> ... says to go to this web page:
> http://www.phpeclipse.de/tiki-index.php?page=DbgBasedDebugger
> ... where the installation instructions are for Windows!
>
> There's also a package called "NuSphere", which is paid software, but
> also rests on the DBG debugger technology. I'm very hesitant to
> encounter the same difficulties in installing DBG and having to pay for
> it as well.
>
> I asked once before on this list about which PHP editors people
> recommend, which is how I heard of Eclipse.
>
> However, now I'm asking:
>
> Does anyone know how to get a reliable PHP graphical debugger to
> actually install and work on Linux?
>
> Any tutorials or instructions available anywhere that are newbie
> friendly? After all, aren't the newbies the ones most likely to be the
> ones to use a GUI debugger?
>
> Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> --
> Dave M G
> Ubuntu 6.06 LTS