Subject: Re: HP Printer installation

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Aug 21 19:09:51 UTC 2006

> Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:50:36 +0100
> From: "Brian Galbraith" <madmedic at greylensman.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: HP Printer installation
> To: "Ubuntu Help and User Discussions"
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
> 	<3684012d0608210750t6ad96208w4e2ffe2acc312938 at mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:20:03 +0100
ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>  I have had no luck as yet. Went to linux printing and
> followed the installation guide for the latest
> version.......the one specific to Dapper. When trying to
> prepare the system ....as instructed...I received the
> following message:
>
> madmedic at madmedic-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install
> build-essential python2.4-dev python2.4-qt3 libcupsys2-dev
> libsnmp9-dev libjpeg62-dev lsb libtool automake1.9 libusb-dev
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> build-essential is already the newest version.
> python2.4-qt3 is already the newest version.
> libusb-dev is already the newest version.
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you
> have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the
> unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet
> been created or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>  libcupsys2-dev: Depends: libcupsys2 (= 1.2.0-0ubuntu5) but
> 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06  is to be installed
> E: Broken packages
> madmedic at madmedic-desktop:~$
>
> I would value some pointers as to what to do next.

Hmmm, crazy. Are you an dapper? ;-)) To me, it looks like you
might be using the cupsys version from breezy.

I would say that we are
now so lucky that we found that your cups install offers some
room for improvement. ;-)

I would try to remove ANYTHING
with "cups" in it's name, insure
that /etc/apt/sources.list does not contain anything with
"Brezzy" in it's name, just "dapper" entries, only.
Afterwards do the "sudo apt-get xyz" command, once again.

Fwiw I am successfully using hplip 1.6.7 with three dapper
computers, 2x Kubuntu, 1x Xubuntu. I exactly followed the same
hplip setup procedure and never had an install problem like this.

And my cupsys2 and cupsy2-devel files are both on version
1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06 and I never did an upgrade from a previous
version, just full
installs of 6.06 from scratch.

regards
Eberhard