Accessing Xubuntu from Ubuntu

Alan Mckinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Aug 21 14:32:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 22:58 +0930, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have both Ubuntu 6.60 and Xubuntu on the same drive.
> Is there any way I can access Xubuntu from Ubuntu?
> Ubuntu on hda1,  Xubuntu on hda3. An icon shows on desktop for hda3, but
> can only
> access "Lost+Found"
>
> squareyes at here:~$ mount /media/hda3/
> mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda3 is already mounted on /media/hda3
> mount failed
> so it's mounted OK
>
> /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/hda3       /media/hda3     ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

Hi Winton

That is your setup from Ubuntu and you can already access the Xubuntu
files - they are in /media/hda3. If you look in that directory you'll
see everything there. You might run into some issues regarding user
account IDs where you can't read some files, but root at least will
always see them.

For example, if user winton on ubuntu is user ID 1000, and user winton
on Xubuntu is user ID 1001, then you won't easily be able to see your
Xubuntu home dir files from Ubuntu - you'll get permission denied
errors.

Similarly, you'll need to ensure that in Xubuntu there is a line
in /etc/fstab making the contents of the Ubuntu disk available:

/dev/hda1       /media/hda1     ext3    defaults        0       2

Hope this helps. Your post is a little lean on detail, so if this
doesn't solve it for you, post back to the list with the exact error you
get, and a description of what you want to accomplish

alan